Green Olive Tapenade with Pita Chips
1 jar (240g) seedless green olives, drained
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp capers, drained
1 handful toasted almonds, halved
5 tbsp olive oil
4 pita bread pockets
2 tsp dried chopped basil
1 tsp very finely minced garlic
8 tbsp (120 mL) olive oil
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
1. Start with the pita chips. In a bowl, mix the olive oil, basil, garlic puree, salt and pepper.
2. Take the pita bread pockets and cut them open and in halves. Brush each pita bread with the olive oil herb mixture on both sides.
3. Cut each pita bread piece lengthwise through the middle one more time, then place on a sheet of baking paper (not covering each other). Put in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until crisp.
4. While you wait for the pita chips, make the olive tapenade. Put olives, garlic, capers and 1 tbsp olive oil into a food processor and pulse for about 5 seconds, or until the mixture is finely chopped but not a smooth paste. You want it to retain some texture.
5. Stir in lemon juice, remaining olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper. If the tapenade doesn't seem 'juicy' enough, add more olive oil. Or a bit more lemon juice, if you prefer.