Bacon Stuffed Rainbow Trout with Orange Salsa
This one was a bit of an experiment for me (ok to be honest, when aren’t they though). I’d been looking up rainbow trout recipes for over two days waiting to find something that appealed, and somehow nothing was exactly doing it for me. Until I found this recipe from Passion Spoon. It was just quirky enough, just unusual enough, to be really really tempting. Surf and turf, in the lightest, most refreshing way possible.
Ingredients (serves 2):For the trout:
2 rainbow trout
120g bacon cubes
1 1/2 orange, sliced (you’ll need 6-7 slices for each trout, 3-4 to lie it on top of, and 3 to top).
For the orange salsa:
handful fresh basil
handful fresh parsley
bit of mint
1 clove garlic, chopped (optional - leave it out if you don’t like garlic)
2 oranges, juice and zest
1/3 red onion, chopped
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
(*I actually didn’t have any basil, so I used a bit more mint and then added a tablespoon of basil pesto, which I did have. That inadvertently added some parmesan cheese and pine nuts to the recipe, but somehow, it worked.)
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
1. Take the bacon and fry it in a small skillet until cooked. Then, set aside.
2. Make the salsa. Take all the ingredients and blend them to the desired consistency. If you want to keep it a little chunky be careful not to over-blend.
3. Wash the trout with water and pat dry with a paper towel. Make a few diagonal cuts along one side of the trout. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Arrange two rows of orange slices (3-4 slices per row), then place the trouts on top (the side with the cuts facing upward).
4. Fill the cavities of the trout with bacon. Cover with salsa, then top with three more orange slices.
5. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. I set a timer at 20 so as to check on it in time. When the eyes are opaque, the skin begins to turn crispy and the bacon is sizzling, turn the grill function up high and leave in the oven for a few minutes more. Then remove from the oven, plate immediately and serve with salsa.