Keto Salmon Avocado Rolls
It sounds strange, but Mexico has great sushi. Some of the best I’ve ever had, I think. Lots of fresh fish and best of all, they use cream cheese as an ingredient. Pretty fantastic. Salmon and cream cheese make a great pairing. Also, it turns out, when you exclude the ingredients that makes them ‘sushi’ - the rice and the nori (seaweed). Like this version, that fits right into the low-carb, high fat Keto diet.
Ingredients (makes one good-size roll):
150g smoked salmon
120g cream cheese
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/4 red onion, halved and sliced
1-2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
1-2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
few sprigs of fresh chives
* This works really well with a combination of cucumber and carrot too. Or mango. Just make sure they’re cut into long thin strips and line them up along the centre with the avocado.
A sheet of plastic foil and a sushi rolling mat
1. Spread a piece of plastic foil over a sushi rolling mat. Take the salmon and spread it, slightly layered, over the plastic in a rectangular shape, the long end of which is lined up in the same direction as the bamboo of the sushi rolling mat.
2. Spread the cream cheese over the salmon.
3. Line up the avocado lengthwise from one end to the other in the middle of the salmon, parallel to the longest edge (and thus parallel to the bamboo). Add the chives.
4. Now roll it up. Take the plastic and fold one end of the salmon over the middle ingredients using your rolling mat, then roll on over the rest of the salmon until you get a nice round roll. Place in the fridge for a few hours or over night to let it set.
5. Unwrap it and sprinkle the sesame seed over. Serve with a wedge of lemon to sprinkle over and some low-sodium soya sauce for dipping.